Land acquisition

If your land is designated for acquisition

If you are in an area that has been designated as a site for one of the anchor projects, your land is subject to restrictions on use and may be acquired. In August 2012, every landowner affected by a designation was sent a letter advising what has happened and asking them to fill in a questionnaire giving information about contacts, property details, and other interests such as leases and insurance information. The Crown’s agents (The Property Group) made contact with each landowner within a week of the letter being sent.

More details are in the set of detailed FAQs explaining land designations and land acquisitions, and in Appendix 1 [PDF 2MB] of the Christchurch Central Recovery Plan.

Presentations to legal practitioners

On Thursday 6 September 2012 a presentation was made to the legal profession on the acquisition by the Crown of CBD properties designated for the Anchor projects as identified in the Christchurch Central Recovery Plan.

The session involved presentations by Bronwyn Arthur, Chief Legal Advisor, CERA; Tim Jones of Mainland Capital; Greg Ball of The Property Group; and John Buchan of Buddle Findlay.

Transcripts of the 6 September 2012 presentations. [PDF 260KB]

Notices of intention to take land

Under section 54 of the Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Act 2011, the Minister of Earthquake Recovery intends to acquire land for the implementation of the Christchurch Central Recovery Plan. The following public notices have been published in The Press and New Zealand Gazette:

Settled Crown purchases in central Christchurch

Compulsory land acquisition

On 2 October 2013, Minister for Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Minister Gerry Brownlee, announced the taking of land by Proclamation for the purposes of the East Frame.

The decision to take this land has been made to ensure that the development of the anchor projects and the overall recovery of the city is not delayed. Progression with the anchor projects will provide private developers the confidence to progress with their own developments and as a result benefit the economy.

Landowners and those with an interest in the land will be written to directly and provided with the booklet, Landowners Information When Land is Acquired by Compulsory Acquisition [826K PDF], and a Compensation Claim Form - print version [236K PDF] or Compensation Claim Form - interactive version [253K PDF]. These documents provide the relevant information about the compulsory acquisition process and rights as an interested party.

The compensation claims determination process is explained in this booklet, Compensation Claims Determination Process - August 2014 [PDF 508KB]

If you require further information on compulsory acquisition, please contact The Property Group Limited at or on (03) 363 5901.

Land designation maps

You can use this interactive map to check whether your land is within a designated area.

You can also view online versions of the planning maps from Appendix 1.