Foundation pour cements signs of progress
Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Minister Gerry Brownlee says a foundation laying project that will get underway in the heart of central Christchurch early tomorrow is another positive step in the city’s rebuild.
“For 13 straight hours almost 750 cubic metres of concrete will be laid on the site of a new office building on the corner of High and Lichfield Streets, starting at 3am on Thursday,” Mr Brownlee says.
“This concrete pour is the largest within the rebuild zone so far and the four story office building going on the site will be completed by December.”
The building is being built by Leighs Construction, who will be a tenant in the new offices.
“This is a great example of a proactive property owner getting their feet firmly under the table and securing a place in the new city centre,” Mr Brownlee says.
“It is one of many construction sites behind the rebuild zone cordon at present, but as that cordon is reduced in the coming months the public will see just how much progress is being made.”
The rebuild zone cordon is on target to be completely removed by the end of June when Defence personnel manning the cordons will withdraw. There will be several progressive cordon reductions between now and then.