Te Puna Ahurea Cultural Centre
Te Puna Ahurea
Te Puna Ahurea will be a world class centre for celebrating Ngāi Tahu and Māori culture, and acknowledging Christchurch’s place within the Pacific.
Te Puna Ahurea Cultural Centre will be a unique, vibrant visitor destination that supports central city recovery through increased cultural, retail and hospitality activity.
The design and function of the Cultural Centre will reflect New Zealand’s evolving identity, integrate with Te Papa Ōtākaro/Avon River Precinct, and provide an inspiring and interactive facility to showcase and celebrate Ngāi Tahu, Māori and Polynesian traditions, and performing and visual arts.
- will be a world-class focal point for cultural celebration and diversity
- will reflect and celebrate Ngāi Tahu and Māori culture, and acknowledge greater Christchurch’s place and connections within the Pacific
- will be a place of pōwhiri – welcome – and celebration of cultural events, such as Puaka Matariki (Māori New Year) and the Chinese New Year
- will provide a dynamic and interactive educational experience for residents, children and international visitors
- will include exhibition space for taonga, traditional and contemporary art
- will be a place to celebrate and experience Māori performing arts.