The existing Cricket Oval in Hagley Park will be enhanced, providing central Christchurch with a venue capable of hosting domestic cricket matches and international tests.
Additions will include a grass embankment, lighting and a replacement pavilion. Full public access to the cricket oval will be maintained during non-event days.
The essential village green character of Hagley Park will also be kept.
The regeneration of the Cricket Oval will stimulate activity in the area. International events will bring a demand for hotel accommodation and other services for visitors.
The Cricket Oval will provide:
- a domestic and international purpose built cricket venue;
- grass embankments with spectator capacity of 15,000 with ability to expand to 20,000 using temporary seating;
- training and coaching facilities with indoor and outdoor nets;
- sports lighting to international broadcast standards;
- pavilion with lounge and media facilities.
- will develop and enhance the existing Cricket Oval in Hagley Park;
- will be developed jointly by CERA, CCC, New Zealand Cricket, private sector and other government agencies as necessary.