A large multi-purpose sports and entertainment venue is proposed for central Christchurch.
With seating for up to 35,000 people, the covered stadium will position central Christchurch as a world-class option for attracting and hosting events. Its main purpose will be to host rugby union, rugby league and football to an international level, and will also provide a venue for entertainment events such as concerts.
The Stadium will be located to the east of the Frame, over three city blocks between Hereford and Tuam Streets, bounded by Madras and Barbadoes Streets. This location is well connected with main transport routes and within easy walking distance of parking facilities and the central city Core.
The Stadium will include:
- 35,000 seat capacity, with 4,300 demountable seats to allow for staging and scaling of events;
- corporate suites and lounge spaces with 4,000 seat capacity;
- option of a fixed, transparent roof to allow natural turf and enable multiple uses;
- optimum spectator viewing through rectangular format for field of play and seating.
- a world-class venue, providing for sports, entertainment and large corporate events;
- located centrally and connected to transport routes;
- will provide parking facilities nearby;
- will be developed in joint partnership with CCC, CERA, Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment, the private sector, NGOs and the philanthropic sector.