Te Puna Ahurea Cultural Centre
Te Puna Ahurea
A world class cultural centre is proposed for the central city as a focal point for cultural celebration and diversity. The proposed cultural centre will reflect and celebrate Ngāi Tahu and Māori culture, and acknowledge Christchurch’s place in, and connections with, the Pacific.
Te Puna Ahurea Cultural Centre will be a unique and vibrant visitor destination that provides a further catalyst to regeneration of the central city by supporting increased cultural, retail and hospitality activity.
The design and function of the cultural centre will reflect New Zealand’s evolving identity, integrate with Te Papa Ōtākaro/Avon River Precinct, and provide an inspiring and interactive facility to showcase and celebrate Ngāi Tahu, Māori and Polynesian traditions, and performing and visual arts.
- will be a world-class focal point for cultural celebration and diversity;
- will reflect and celebrate Ngāi Tahu and Māori culture, and acknowledge greater Christchurch’s place and connections within the Pacific;
- will be a place of pōwhiri – welcome – and celebration of cultural events, such as Puaka Matariki (Māori New Year) and the Chinese New Year;
- will provide a dynamic and interactive educational experience for residents, children and international visitors;
- will include exhibition space for taonga, traditional and contemporary art;
- will be a place to celebrate and experience Māori performing arts.